What will this winter bring?
Tips for being ready for whatever winter brings!
It shouldn’t be hard to remember the devastation that occurred in March 2018. With 4 Nor’easters clobbering the area leaving millions without power for days, you’d have to live under a rock to not want to be prepared.
Depends on what prediction you follow – The Old Farmer’s Almanac, NOAA or The Weather Channel – it’s anyone’s educated guess what Mother Nature is going to throw at us. The Woolly Bear caterpillars are predicting a mind winter (large red-brown bands), while the local deer turning grey in September is indicative of a harsh winter. Even the wildlife can’t come to a consensus!
Rather than take chances, wouldn’t it be easier to take some steps now and rest easier later? Here’s a few steps to get you going.
- Make sure your heating system is ready for the cold weather by having it serviced NOW. If you are a Combined Energy Services customer, we offer service contracts on both propane and fuel oil It’s recommended that you have your heating system professionally serviced BEFORE you turn it on.
- Are you a “Will Call Delivery” customer? We must ask why? CES must be notified 5 – 7 business days before the desired delivery date. We will make every attempt to get you fuel sooner but if there’s severe weather, our automatic delivery folks get preference.
- There’s a serious rumor that needs to be dispelled here. Someone started the scuttlebutt that heating fuel companies wait until the prices are high to deliver fuel to their automatic delivery customers. This is just NOT true! Combined Energy Services uses a degree-day delivery system that considers monthly temperatures to plan deliveries. It has nothing to do with price, and everything to do with weather.
- Wouldn’t it be easier to sign up for Automatic Delivery and not worry about checking your fuel gauge to try to figure out how many days of fuel you have remaining? There’s still time, call us today for details at 800-874-1975.
- Is your heating system more than 20 years old? It might be time to bite the bullet and install a new furnace. Maybe consider changing from fuel oil to energy efficient propane. Combined Energy Services can take the worry out of the process. Contact CES for a free, no obligation quote. The expense for conversion can easily be paid for in increase energy efficiency.
- Something you can easily do yourself is to seal up any outside air leaks. If you can see daylight around closed doors or windows, it’s time to add some weatherstripping and caulk. If you feel drafts around receptacles and light switches on exterior walls, you can add foam gaskets behind the plates. They’re available at your local hardware store or online.
- Do you have enough insulation in your attic? Do you remove or cover window/wall air conditioners? What about your fireplace damper? Does it close properly. Check out this diagram for more handy tips.
- What about replacing your dirty wood burning fireplace or woodstove with an energy efficient propane model? Combine Energy Services can help! Not only can we sell you with propane but we also sell a wide variety of propane fire options.
Contact Combined Energy Services for all you home heating needs!